Minutes of the Chilliwack Field Naturalists Executive Meeting

Tuesday, Oct 3, 2017

The Selles’s home, Chilliwack

Present: Scott Denkers, Janet Pollock, Annabelle Rempel, Fernando Selles, Paulina Selles, Helen Turner.

1. Call to order at 7:10 pm

2. Minutes of the previous meeting – Motion for adoption by Scott, seconded by Janet and approved by executive.

3. Approval of the agenda – Approved with additions.

4. Business arising from the minutes

a) Great Blue Heron Nature Reserve Fundraiser – at Dukes Pub in Chilliwack. Very successful event with $1,300 coming in from dinner tickets and 50/50.

5. New Business

a) Upcoming Speakers

1. Colin Levings, Ecology of Salmon – October 17, 2017

b) Field Trips

1. Mushroom Trip – No field trip date set. Lee will check with Sharmin (note: Lee later found Sharmin would be unavailable for an Oct. trip).

2. Spotted Owl Breeding Program – Open house dates coming up. Janet will check into availability.

c) Camp River – Lee and Denis not present for report.

d) Newsletter – Janne in the UK.

e) Website – statistics document from Janne was previously sent out.

f) Christmas Bird Count – Janet will check with her new housing complex for the post-count dinner. Need CBC dates from Denis Knopp.

g) How long do we store financial records – Janet will do an inventory of the records she has in her possession and then we can make a decision.

h) Thank you card from Cynthia Berg – Scott read the nice note to the Exec.

i) Leisure Guide – Fernando suggests adding website address and a second phone number for the club.

j) Fall Camp 2018 – Janne signed up for the next BC Nature Fall Camp.

k) FGM Report – Hold till next meeting for Janne’s report.

6. Reports

a) Financial report – balances as of May 31st (circulated earlier). Janet moved for adoption of report, seconded by Fernando and approved by executive.

1. General Account $ 1,424.67

2. Term Deposit (Val Whetter bequest) $10,000.00

3. Camp River Account $ 5.59

4. Equity Share $ 32.22

b) Membership – No new members. Jocelyn with Earthwise Society attended last general meeting. She was interested in our club & may attend next one.

c) Conservation report – Grizzly Bear trophy hunt; New logging rates; Sturgeon fishing impacts; Sumas Mountain Quarry. Annabelle’s detailed report will be made available on the website.

d) NatureKids – No report. Helen plans to contact Laurie for any updates.

7. Next meeting: Nov 7th, 2017 at Janet’s new home.

8. Thanks to Fernando and Paulina for hosting.

Adjourned at 8:45 pm

Submitted by Scott Denkers